Our History

Bridge of Life – DaVita Medical Missions

In 2006, the concept of Bridge of Life was inspired by DaVita Inc., a leading kidney care provider in the United States, when they launched DaVita Medical Missions to improve kidney care in underserved areas of the world. DaVita Medical Missions continued to grow and provide lifesaving dialysis to global communities until 2007, when the program became its own independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization named Bridge of Life – DaVita Medical Missions.

The Kidney TRUST

In 2006, The Kidney TRUST (TKT) was created to increase public awareness of chronic kidney disease (CKD) through community outreach, education and its rapid-testing program to identify individuals with signs of kidney impairment. Growing recognition in the study of kidney disease indicated that widespread testing could have a profound impact on the progression of CKD. TKT developed its new, rapid-testing program as one of a growing number of initiatives focused on raising awareness about CKD and providing opportunities for testing the general population.

DaVita Village Trust

In 2014, DaVita Village Trust, a 501(c)(3) public charity, brought together these two prominent nonprofit organizations and today operates under the brand name of “Bridge of Life,” serving men, women and children through the following programs:  kidney care, chronic disease prevention and kids’ camps.

Relationship with DaVita Inc.

While BOL is closely affiliated with DaVita Inc., BOL is a nonprofit organization operating as a separate entity. Through its operating divisions, DaVita provides a variety of healthcare services to patient populations throughout the United States and abroad. DaVita’s vision for social responsibility is called the Trilogy of Care:  Caring for Our Patients, Caring for Each Other and Caring for Our World.

BOL is a representation of how DaVita “Cares for Our World.” On an annual basis, approximately 300 teammates serve as volunteers on BOL’s medical missions, medical camps for kids sessions and  screening events, contributing their skills, expertise and time to improve healthcare across the globe. BOL is also the beneficiary of Tour DaVita, a 250-mile bike ride held in a different part of the country each year. Over 500 DaVita teammates (employees), physicians, family members, and sponsors ride to raise awareness of kidney disease. Since 2007, Tour DaVita has raised more than $10 million to benefit BOL’s international and domestic programs. In addition, DaVita teammates contribute annually through Global Givers, a monthly giving program. Through these campaigns, in-kind donations and teammate fundraising, DaVita-sponsored support accounts for 55 percent of BOL’s annual revenue of $2.1 million. Public support from individuals, businesses and foundations account for the remaining 45 percent of revenue.

Bridge of Life Celebrates 15th Years of Strengthening Healthcare Globally

In 2021, Bridge of Life Celebrated its 15th Anniversary! Since that time, more than 3,127 volunteers and thousands of generous donors have helped to expand our work to 34 countries, impacting over 148,000 lives. View our Milestones and what we’ve accomplished to advance health equity.